Checking for Learning in STARTALK Student Programs is specifically designed to be a resource to leaders and teachers of STARTALK student programs. However, almost every feature of these materials can serve the needs of teachers in any language program. The information contained within these materials is distributed over eight sections.
- “What Do We Mean by ‘Checking for Learning’?” provides thoughts about changing our perspective on assessment, moving it from testing and grading to one that students view as more helpful—one that checks on their learning and provides useful information about how to continue to grow in language use.
- “How Do I Know What to Check” helps connect learning and assessment to national standards for language learning and to unit and lesson learning targets.
- “When Do I Use Formative and Summative Checks for Learning?” clarifies the difference between these two approaches and when it is more appropriate to use each.
- “How Do I Use Formative Checks for Learning?” gives numerous examples of formative checks for learning that language teachers can use to monitor and improve student learning.
- “How Can Students Check for Learning?” focuses attention on the role that student self-checks can play in the learning process.
- “The Importance of Feedback” reminds us that without feedback, learners don’t know what or how to improve, and it provides specific information about how to give appropriate feedback to students.
- “How Can I Report Progress of Learning in Meaningful Ways?” provides insights into the ways that teachers can communicate language growth to various audiences.
- “How Can External Assessment Help in Checking for Learning?” discusses the value of external assessment in the language learning endeavor and the options that are available to language educators.
While each section may be considered a stand-alone component, the reader will mostly likely derive the greatest benefit by starting from the first one and continuing through the sequence. In each section, readers will encounter background research on the specific topic being addressed in the section as well as thoughts for implementation and resources to support it.
- Performance Feedback
- Performance-Based Assessment